CHICKEN PESTO "PASTA"
Have you tried zoodles? Zucchini ‘noodles’ are an amazing replacement for pasta, which is high on the list of inflammatory foods. Instead of cooking a glutinous option, this miraculous noodle substitute will inspire you to enjoy your old favourites with a healthier spin. This ‘pasta’ is delicious with meatballs, bolognaise and in soups and salads too.
This is an easy and affordable meal that can be made in a matter of minutes, with some simple planning and meal preparation ahead of time. For a meat free lunch option, just two zucchini and some pre-made pesto is all you need.
- 2 skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil or ghee
- 4 green zucchini (courgette)
- ¼ cup basil and kale pesto (recipe below)
KALE AND BASIL PESTO
- 1 basil plant or large bunch, large stems removed
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large leaves kale, de-stemmed and chopped (about 2 cups packed)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup pistachios
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint
- Salt, to taste
- Place all the pesto ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Scrape into a recycled airtight jar and keep in the fridge.
- First, roughly peel the zucchini and chop off both ends. Using a handheld julienne device or vegetable spiraliser, process all of the zucchinis into noodle-like pasta. With a handheld device, julienne the outer layer and discard the core (or use it in your next green smoothie!).
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium-high. Add the chicken pieces and cook, turning regularly, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup pre-made pesto and stir for 1 minute to coat chicken.
- Add the zucchini and stir for another minute. Turn off the heat and dish into bowls immediately to prevent the zucchini from turning soggy. Serves 2.