This easy-peasy Winter warmer will blow your mind! It's so simple and such a perfect way to enjoy lamb shanks. This is a fantastic go-to when you need to get food ready, fast. Pile these on top of mashed potato, cauliflower and carrot puree or roasted sweet potato.
- 3 tablespoons raw almond meal
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 lamb shanks (free-range)
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 large jar (680g) tomato Passata (sugar and preservative free)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (400g)
- 3 small carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks rosemary
- Fresh Italian parsley, to serve
- Place the almond meal and some salt and pepper on a flat plate. Roll the lamb shanks in the mixture until coated evenly. Repeat with all shanks and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the ghee in a large pan over high heat. Add the shanks, 3 at a time, and sear on all sides until browned (about 6 minutes). Repeat with all shanks and set aside.
- In a large casserole dish, place a tablespoon of ghee and heat over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, diced carrots and 2 rosemary stalks. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add the shanks, Passata, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and remainder of the rosemary.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, for ~3.5 hours. Mix every half an hour or so. Shanks are done when the meat starts to fall off the bone easily.
- Serve on your base of choice and top with fresh parsley.
Note: you could also make this recipe in a slow cooker (~8 hours) or pressure cooker (1.5 hours).